Game Articles and Videos Thread

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@CriticalGaming, Skill Up is not liking Concord. I keep forgetting this game was even announced.
We have been talking about it on Discord, but I think we've figured out that the biggest problem with Concord is that it's art design is dogshit. Every character sucks from a design standpoint, and none of them have any sort of personality to make up for the androgynistic designs they all have. There is no marketing material with any sort of biography, no lore, nothing. Who are these people? What is the goal? Why are they fighting? There's none of that.

And for a game that wants to have a new "story" cinematic every week, how can you not have information on your character roster?

This is a big problem because you need to offer something to attach people to the characters. And if you aren't going to make them pretty like The First Descendant, then you need to make them interesting. The reason for this is because you are thriving on a business model that relies on people buying skins and cosmetics for these characters. But there is nothing to make people attracted to them. They are ugly and boring, so you don't even have the "skins because sexy", but even worse you have nothing personality or goal wise for people to make a connection to any of them, without attachment people will not pay for extras.

The gameplay seems fine, it's functional. But it's sluggish and unremarkable, which is a further nail in the coffin.

What's crazy is the cinematics look amazing. There is a lot of budget behind this thing, but like you can't feel any of the budget in the game. It's ugly, the characters are basic archetypes and uninteresting, the gameplay modes are just copied from other games. So where did all the money go? What did you invest in to make this game anything? Fucking cinematics?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We have been talking about it on Discord, but I think we've figured out that the biggest problem with Concord is that it's art design is dogshit.
I have not used my discord account in months.

And for a game that wants to have a new "story" cinematic every week, how can you not have information on your character roster?

This is a big problem because you need to offer something to attach people to the characters. And if you aren't going to make them pretty like The First Descendant, then you need to make them interesting. The reason for this is because you are thriving on a business model that relies on people buying skins and cosmetics for these characters. But there is nothing to make people attracted to them. They are ugly and boring, so you don't even have the "skins because sexy", but even worse you have nothing personality or goal wise for people to make a connection to any of them, without attachment people will not pay for extras.

The gameplay seems fine, it's functional. But it's sluggish and unremarkable, which is a further nail in the coffin.
Which is why I'll never live service games like this; even the good ones. I don't have the time nor patience and feel it's spent better elsewhere.

What's crazy is the cinematics look amazing. There is a lot of budget behind this thing, but like you can't feel any of the budget in the game. It's ugly, the characters are basic archetypes and uninteresting, the gameplay modes are just copied from other games. So where did all the money go? What did you invest in to make this game anything? Fucking cinematics?
Goes to show that high priced cinematics won't always carry game. Especially when the gameplay is mediocre and nothing stands out.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Cyberpunk.

But very obviously because of the voice lines.
Honestly, I'd rather they all stop letting you name the main character, otherwise you get some really weird situation where the character have to never use your character name. Like FFX where they never ever call Titus by his name (even in the sequel, where they keep saying "you know who").

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Great video. The only thing I disagree with on Grappler is that most of the DMC games are just as complicated as the Guilty Gear franchise. People are still discovering stuff in DMC3 & DMC4. Even though DmC 2013 is more streamlined, people are discovering new tech and combos in that still after over a decade.

Do you subscribe to this channel by any chance? Because you pick up on these fast. I am not complaining though. The more the merrier.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Do you subscribe to this channel by any chance? Because you pick up on these fast. I am not complaining though. The more the merrier.
No, just a coincidence. Tho the YT algorithm is generally better at giving me stuff I'd be interested than most, it seems.

Reactions: BrawlMan